Westernesse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westernesse Heavy-RP Official Forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to Roleplay

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blizzlock
Admin
Blizzlock

How to Roleplay Empty
PostSubject: How to Roleplay   How to Roleplay EmptyTue May 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Alright everyone, I'm going to help you all out a bit. As a number of you don't seem to understand how this all works. Its really very simple.

First remember in roleplay you take on the role of your character, your character is not you, he is a separate being that you have control of. Make his personality different from yours, and perhaps even give him some traits or perhaps medical problems and or disabilities.

Also remember, just because you know someone personally in real life, doesn't mean your characters know each other.

First off the propper use of the /me command. /me implies that your character has acted out an action, remember you only control your character No-one elses(See Power-Gaming below). You must also give other players a chance to react, do not force an action on them. A example of /me use would be "/me attempts to stab player 2 in the leg", notice how I sed "Attempts" This allows the other player to react and attempt to dodge the blow. Keep in mind these are the bare basics of the art of /meing, you will pick up more good skills as you do it.

Let me start you with some terms that you will need to know:

In-Character: In-Character is commonly used to describe roleplaying as your character, when you speak In-Character your speaking as your character and not your self.

Out-of-Character: Out-of-Character is a term used to describe speaking as your self and not your character.

Meta-gaming: Meta-gaming is when you use information given to you Out-of-Character to do something or say something In-Character, or vice-versa.

Power-Gaming: These terms are used to describe someone forcing actions onto someone using the /me command. For instance, "Player 1 attempts to kick player 2, player 2 dodges and grabs player 1's foot then player 1 tries to punch player 2 but misses". See how Player 2 magically controlled Player 1? Don't do this.

God-Modding: God-Modding is a term used to describe abusing /me to take no damage. For instance "Player 1 attempts to kick Player 2, Player 2 Dodges, Player 1 attempts to kick Player 2, Player 2 Dodges, Player 1 attempts to kick Player 2, Player 2 Dodges, Player 1 attempts to kick Player 2, Player 2 Dodges, Player 1 attempts to kick Player 2, Player 2 Dodges". Now in real Roleplay players would take turns doing actions, but this should get the point across.

When you first join the server you should notice that the chat system isn't what your used to seeing, alot of player don't seem to understand how their supposed to speak as their characters and how they just talk as them self's.

First things first I will explain the channels.

Global(G for short) is the Out-of-Character Channel, this is where you will speak as yourself and not your character. Everyone can hear Out-of-Character. Some examples of how you will use Out-of-Character would be "Hey man, welcome to the server" or "Hold on guys, I gotta let my dog out. brb".

Local is the In-Character Channel, this is where you speak as your character and not yourself. Only people within 24 blocks of you will hear you to imply a realistic speaking range. Some examples of how to use In-Character would be "Hello there, Bob. How are you doing this morning?" or "How's it going, Bob. How are the crops growing this time of year?".

Thank you all for reading, I will be adding more when I get a chance.

Back to top Go down

How to Roleplay
Page 1 of 1