Westernesse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westernesse Heavy-RP Official Forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Blizzlock
Admin
Blizzlock

Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips Empty
PostSubject: Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips   Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips EmptyTue May 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Written by Celticwolf1990.

Before reading this, I highly encourage you to read my previous topic if you haven't. A Basic Guide to Fighting in Role Play

Many things that I can cover, are at this point preaching to the choir. Melee combat is personal preference depending on weapons and fighting style, as well as ranged. After the basics it becomes more a matter of personal taste. Because of this, I will throw out some tips on a few things, and some things we all needed to be reminded of from time to time.

Part 1: Code of Conduct

You are controlling a character in another world. The main thing to remember is that character has limits just like yourself. They can only do so much. Those characters also have their weaknesses. The sign of a good role player is when you are willing to play out those significant disabilities in pivotal moments in a plot without knowing what will happen.

Everyone is not as experienced as everyone else. When role playing, you are going to have to be open to new people and where they are in their role play experience. You may have to accommodate them to an extent, and remember we all started out somewhere. It is best to offer a nudge in the slight direction, and praise when people do something well.

When using projectiles you must remember that throwing large amounts of knives isn't reasonable. We do not have an unlimited amount of projectiles in our persons, nor will we have the right equipment for every situation we encounter. Try to pick a set of weapons you will have before fighting, and sticking with it. Keep track of what you lose.

It is poor sportsmanship if another player autohits while the other is knocked out or unable to react. The character is still under direct control of the opposing player, and you are doing what you will to them, which is god modding. Refrain from such behavior and continue to allow the other person to react as if it was a normal battle. Another person could've stopped you, or they have some sort of defensive mechanism.

Part 2: Stealth in and out of combat.

Be reasonable when eavesdropping. I cannot hear someone down my hall talking in a regular voice when the door is open. If someone was downstairs talking, pressing my head to the floor wouldn't help me hear them. That being said, it is even more unlikely to hear people underground talk or even scream. Please, stay within the realm of reason or don't eavesdrop at all.

I am disappointed in myself for saying this, but I find minecraft is the exception to a long time rule of mine. If you want to stay hidden and not noticed by anyone, don't role play it out. Sit there, watch, and wait. However, if you go to other communities, they may tell you otherwise.

Part 3: Tips and Tricks.

These are highly controversial on some sites, and it is recommended before using these, you speak with the staff of your community and the opposing player.

*One work around to the no auto-hit rule would be this. I set off explosives all around you, and they explode. However, I never said if they hurt you or not. Considering it only took one second and you would've had no time to react, logic would say I got you. It is rather cheap, and is only recommended when fighting god-like characters. Some communities encourage this creative thinking, some call it god modding.

*Be descriptive, it helps. Say I shot 3 delayed explosive tip arrows, and they missed, I then say where they hit and leave them there for such and such time. The other person has forgot them. When I am about to lose, I chase the person back to the spot, with or without mentioning the arrows since it was already mentioned, then I click a button. Boom. This can be considered bad though, mainly by QQ'rs, just be sure you set up the scene properly and it should be fine. Be reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Zeratul_Auditore

PostSubject: Re: Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips   Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips EmptyTue May 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Blizzlock wrote:
Originally Written by Celticwolf1990.

Before reading this, I highly encourage you to read my previous topic if you haven't. A Basic Guide to Fighting in Role Play

Many things that I can cover, are at this point preaching to the choir. Melee combat is personal preference depending on weapons and fighting style, as well as ranged. After the basics it becomes more a matter of personal taste. Because of this, I will throw out some tips on a few things, and some things we all needed to be reminded of from time to time.

Part 1: Code of Conduct

You are controlling a character in another world. The main thing to remember is that character has limits just like yourself. They can only do so much. Those characters also have their weaknesses. The sign of a good role player is when you are willing to play out those significant disabilities in pivotal moments in a plot without knowing what will happen.

Everyone is not as experienced as everyone else. When role playing, you are going to have to be open to new people and where they are in their role play experience. You may have to accommodate them to an extent, and remember we all started out somewhere. It is best to offer a nudge in the slight direction, and praise when people do something well.

When using projectiles you must remember that throwing large amounts of knives isn't reasonable. We do not have an unlimited amount of projectiles in our persons, nor will we have the right equipment for every situation we encounter. Try to pick a set of weapons you will have before fighting, and sticking with it. Keep track of what you lose.

It is poor sportsmanship if another player autohits while the other is knocked out or unable to react. The character is still under direct control of the opposing player, and you are doing what you will to them, which is god modding. Refrain from such behavior and continue to allow the other person to react as if it was a normal battle. Another person could've stopped you, or they have some sort of defensive mechanism.

Part 2: Stealth in and out of combat.

Be reasonable when eavesdropping. I cannot hear someone down my hall talking in a regular voice when the door is open. If someone was downstairs talking, pressing my head to the floor wouldn't help me hear them. That being said, it is even more unlikely to hear people underground talk or even scream. Please, stay within the realm of reason or don't eavesdrop at all.

I am disappointed in myself for saying this, but I find minecraft is the exception to a long time rule of mine. If you want to stay hidden and not noticed by anyone, don't role play it out. Sit there, watch, and wait. However, if you go to other communities, they may tell you otherwise.

Part 3: Tips and Tricks.

These are highly controversial on some sites, and it is recommended before using these, you speak with the staff of your community and the opposing player.

*One work around to the no auto-hit rule would be this. I set off explosives all around you, and they explode. However, I never said if they hurt you or not. Considering it only took one second and you would've had no time to react, logic would say I got you. It is rather cheap, and is only recommended when fighting god-like characters. Some communities encourage this creative thinking, some call it god modding.

*Be descriptive, it helps. Say I shot 3 delayed explosive tip arrows, and they missed, I then say where they hit and leave them there for such and such time. The other person has forgot them. When I am about to lose, I chase the person back to the spot, with or without mentioning the arrows since it was already mentioned, then I click a button. Boom. This can be considered bad though, mainly by QQ'rs, just be sure you set up the scene properly and it should be fine. Be reasonable.

I agree. Out of sudden you cannot gain magical "Powers". You can't suddenly learn Kung Fu out of nowhere. Blizzlock can you make a forum section about Characters story?
Back to top Go down
Blizzlock
Admin
Blizzlock

PostSubject: Re: Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips   Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips EmptyWed May 04, 2011 12:52 am

Adding as a Sub-Category to Lore now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips   Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips Empty

Back to top Go down

Advanced Role Play Fighting Tips
Page 1 of 1